Monday, November 9, 2009

Day 4: Bones

Hi again :) so we’ve made it to Day 4! After a post last week about dental fluorosis, some questions were raised and controversies were uncovered. Moving on from that, we're talking about the skeletal system!
Since teeth and bones are similarly constructed (mostly of calcium), it's only natural that if fluoride infects the mouth and teeth, the skeleton is congruently impacted.
Upon ingestion, fluoride is stored in the body by the bones and teeth, as opposed to residing in fat cells like most toxins. The chemical accumulates slowly and does not disintegrate over time...meaning, once it's in your system, it's there for good. No take-backs! As the chemical accumulates, it can lead to joint pain, greater risk of fractures, and even bone deformation. With an increased dosage, fluoride causes the ligaments of the body to calcify—which translates to highly restricted movement. Also from fluoride exposure, bony spurs can appear on the limbs along with forcing the vertebrae to fuse together. Essentially, you could tie the intake of fluoride to the exponentially rising number of elderly people being sent to nursing homes. Fluoride drastically weakens the skeletal system, which leads to brittle, easily broken bones (especially hip fractures); and broken bones are currently the number-one cause for nursing home admission in the United States. To clear up a point made by myth buster on Friday: sure, dental fluorosis can only be acquired before the enamel is fully formed on teeth (children), but the physical effects can be delayed in their appearance and are also visibly prevalent for the rest of your life. Similar to this is skeletal fluorosis. This would be, as you could probably guess, the calcification of all bones instead of just teeth. Skeletal fluorosis makes your bones weaker, brittler, and mottled just as your teeth would be. However, there is clearly not as much emphasis on the cosmetic effect of skeletal fluorosis since your bones are neatly tucked away. Instead, the impact is even more dangerous, in my opinion. Often, skeletal fluorosis is indistinguishable from arthritis since many of the symptoms are analogous. Because of this, skeletal fluorosis goes disregarded, untreated or improperly treated, leading to little or no progression of healing in patients.
Arguably the most perilous health hazard that fluoride poses to the skeletal system is the greatly increased risk of cancer. Osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer, will be addressed later in November along with other cancerous effects. As you can see, fluoride does not stop at the oral cavity as it terrorizes the body. Wednesday we'll learn about its dangers in to the mind.

22 comments:

  1. Can I see a picture of teeth that have been damaged by flouride? I may have it, I'm not even sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really scaring me with your fear tactics. Why has none of this been uncovered on Dateline or 60 Minutes or other shows? It sounds a lot like a commercial on TV that is trying to sell some new product that we all must have because of the dangers of fluoride. Is this going to turn into an infomercial?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE MIND oh my gosh! I love minds!!! Anywho! When suggesting this topic for your seenya proje I seriously never knew how dangerous it really is...and to multiple aspects of our bodies! I MUST WARN MY DADDY!! Maybe he's been brainwashed? Is fluoride used in brainwashing..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, thats kind of scary. i knew my dentist was trying to kil me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Favorite line of the blog: "However, there is clearly not as much emphasis on the cosmetic effect of skeletal fluorosis since your bones are neatly tucked away." Got a good chuckle out of that :) All in all, a convincing argument but I remember the time when you said you hadn't come down on a particular side of the fluoride controversy. However, it appears as if there is a lot of anti-fluoride rhetoric. Maybe the second half of the month will prove to be more pro-fluoride??? :) I had a couple questions and honestly I do not know the answers---what form is fluoride encorporated into the bone? For example, fluoride in enamel is in the form of fluorohydroxyapetite. What is it in bone? Is fluoride deposited/substituted into bone throughout life or simply during bone growth?

    I do know there is something called parathyroid hormone that is the body's mechanism to maintain a balance of Ca++ and K+ that affects bone and bone density but I don't know of anything that allows for fluoride exchange/substitution/deposition in bone. Any hormones that work with fluoride ion and its flows in the blood attached to plasma?

    Ps-Now i know why no one wants to be a dentist or see a dentist...Apparently we are trying to kill everyone :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. (for the record, i love going to the dentist.) as a daughter of a momma with "soft" bones, it's disheartening to read that fluoride could be further calcificationizing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is pretty cool - during AP Bio we had to research a cancer and come up with some general facts about it and mine was bone cancer, osteosarcoma being the most documented. Bone problems just seem to be the theme of the day!

    I am curious to know why fluoride causes calcification in ligaments and hightened fraility of bones. It kind of seems like its working both ways there. I believe that could possibly be cleared up by learning what compund the fluoride is deposited as in the body. I am guessing this could possibly be different between the ligaments and bone?

    It is worrying to know that skeletal fluorosis is virtually undetectable, but even more worrying to know that fluoride can have negative nuerological side-effects! I will be curious to see its effects on the BRAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow....
    you keep impressing me with all this knowledge that i never knew

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must compliment your unique writing style. Readers feel compelled to read more and more about this interesting topic. Also, is skeletal flourosis related to or a cause of just regular osteoporosis?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Foremost, I must say that I am quite impressed by the extensive vocabulary integrated into this blog. Second, I would like to thank you for your education. But I am left with a couple of questions...
    One) When does the level of flouride actually become hazardous? While you have established that we are ingesting 7x the amount necessary, I am questioning if are our bodies truly are undergoing these transformations solely based on fluoride or perhaps other variables. (Peter Pettigrew touched on this on the first entry)
    Two) If so, does our age, race, gender affect the level in which our bodies will react?

    Lastly, I may have a better hypothesis at to why I have had 25 cavities in my life though I took fluoride tablets during my the development of my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like I had more Floride treatments when I was younger than I do now. Shouldn't it be the other way around since it is a important time for children to build strong bones? Also is there a difference between the health risks in adult and chidlren who get Floride treatments?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Noah Zark - fluoride makes your bones weaker, calcifys your ligaments, and 'hardens' the enamel on your teeth. it is important for children to build strong bones but you have to maintain that rigidness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The whole part about fluoride being in our system for GOOD and causing joint pain/ bone deformation is some scary stuff my friend! I would have never even imagined the side effects of fluoride being so detrimental! CRAZY!!! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and wisdom with us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. mary marg. yet AGAINNovember 10, 2009 at 4:45 PM

    p.s. i find it humorous that the little code word i just had to enter was plaque.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is super scary! I used to love going to the dentist and getting fluoride but not anymore. Now I am going to say no ma'am when she tries to stick that mess in my mouth! I am so glad you are here to inform my ignorant self about the dangers of the fluo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting topic....very interesting indeed. For the most I would say that you backed up your standpoint very well. Just a few questions though. Is there any definite way to tell between arthritis and skeletal fluorosis? I know you stated that they both permit the same symptoms, but is there some sort of test, etc.? I would also be interested to know if there has been any studies on how many cases there are of skeletal fluorosis compared to the cases of arthritis. Other than that you have approached the subject with indifference, and have answered many good questions. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is some more interesting information. I can remember when you were in Kindergarten and the school wanted you to swish every Friday with fluoride. I spoke with your dentist and he said it was not necessary since you had enough fluoride exposure in the water! I guess that's why your teeth are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a little kid I lived in a really urban area, so I think I have fluoride damage on my teeth, but thankfully you can hardly tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow this is bad stuff, who knew.. my chemistry teacher just mentioned flouride but i bet he doesn't know how bad it is!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Flouride isn't bad for you. It helps prevent tooth decay, and has been included in water for the prevention of diseases. No, it isn't wrong or bad to have a flouride treatment from the dentist on your six month checkup, especially if you are over the age of six, because your teeth and body have matured, while at the same time it isn't neccessary to swish with flouride everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. elitedarklord_dragonslayer_3.14159November 17, 2009 at 4:39 PM

    man...does skeletal fluorosis occur mostly in the elderly or can children get it too?

    ReplyDelete